Courtesy of Ministry-to-Children.com is a funny list of “requirements” for children’s ministry leaders and volunteers:
- Sense of humour is not mandatory, but you won’t survive without it
- Should be quick to recover when you forget a kids name: a staple of generic names such as ‘Buckaroo’ or ‘Fella’ or ‘Bud’ is a must
- Even though you would watch them anyways, Cartoons are now considered research.
- Having the ability to always tell a joke or fill in time is a major plus
- No sense of embarrassment is a plus – especially when doing action songs
- Must have the immune system of a robot
- Must be able to use random junk as props
- Must be able to rig contests so the girls don’t always win
- Willingness to pray for all sick pets by name
- Must be able to “Hold it” for entire service rotation
- Ability to distinguish where “That smell is coming from”
- Must be able to come up with 10 games from 1 piece of toilet paper.
- Must remember that ‘knuckles’ are 75% more healthy than high fives.
- Able to turn all your mistakes into a funny story
- Able to tolerate bright yellow & orange walls in your office
- Breath mints … really, kids will call you out for dog breath
- When faced with embarrassing & awkward situations, must be able to laugh loudly even if no one else does
- Must realize that every parent believes their child is “very mature for their age” and should not have to stay in that class
- Must be willing to do and try new things even if “we’ve always done it this way”
- Must not be satisfied with the status quo
- Must be able to ignore foul body odors